Butterfly grew up with food intolerances and was diagnosed with ADHD, Asperger's
Syndrome, and learning difficulties. Now she struggles with OCDs.
This is the story of how we have faced these challenges.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Raising Butterfly

Why Butterfly? We might as well get that out of the way at the get-go, because a lot of people ask. Thing is, I really don't know. It just came to me one evening when I was eight months pregnant that this would be a butterfly child. And indeed...

My mom only shook her head when I told her the name we'd chosen. I think she was hoping for a namesake, but this child simply wasn't a Kathleen. I'm certain Mom came to appreciate that as Butterfly grew up. In fact, I'm pretty sure it was firmly cemented by the time Butterfly was 6 and we were all standing on the deck enjoying a lovely summer day. Mom pointed to a couple of bees on some flowers, turned to Bud, as her nick-name became, and said, "Look Bud, the bees are gathering honey."

Butterfly gave her a disdainful look. "Oh Nanna, the bees don't gather honey. They gather nectar and take it back to their nests to make honey."

Mom's eyes widened as she turned a bemused expression on me and said, "there's nothing quite like being corrected by a 6-year-old."

Butterfly's name turned out to be well-suited to a kid who flitted from one thing to another, to another, never landing anywhere for very long. She was diagnosed early on with ADHD, and later the psychologist who tested her told me to look up Asperger's Syndrome on the internet, and proceed accordingly, and she confirmed two learning difficulties. Bud also had multiple food intolerances and allergies.

Yes, raising and educating Butterfly was a challenge. It's also been an amazing and enlightening journey. What follows is Butterfly's story.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you named her appropriately. I always think it's weird that I named my daughter Audrey because she turned out to have Autism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes we get inspiration from goodness knows where, eh? ;o)

    ReplyDelete