Butterfly grew up with food intolerances and was diagnosed with ADHD, Asperger's
Syndrome, and learning difficulties. Now she struggles with OCDs.
This is the story of how we have faced these challenges.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A New Adventure Begins

I've been sort of working on Butterfly for awhile to cut back on her consumption of gluten. I've read over and over again about how it can have such a bad impact on those with autism. We had already gone through the Leaky Gut Syndrome thing. (See Leaky What? http://raisingbutterfly.blogspot.com/2010/07/leaky-what.html and The Wiener Incident http://raisingbutterfly.blogspot.com/2010/10/wiener-incident.html) And we know for sure that dietary issues for Butterfly are very real and make a huge difference in her ability to cope with her world and in her immune system responses.

Not long ago Butterfly and I made a shopping trip to the city. She wanted to go to this huge bookstore in particular to get something for me ~ The Gluten-Free, Vegan cookbook by Susan O'Brien. (Yes, I am, due to both colitis and celiac disease.) While there, I was browsing in the cookbook section and came up with, The Autism Cookbook, by Susan K. Delaine. We've been looking at them and talking about the recipes we'd like to try. This led to a decision by Butterfly to try to be gluten-free.

Yes!! I am eager to help her do this and not only try out some of these great recipes, but work out how to adjust some of her fave foods now to g-free meals. So we embark on new adventure to see if eating gluten-free will help Butterfly master some of her OCDs and other remaining problems. It isn't easy for a teen to give up burgers, onion rings and other foods that her friends will be eating. I'm very pleased that she's willing to give it a try.

Wish us luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! I attribute 90 percent of B's healing to diet. I don't regret the changes at all (though admittedly, on occasion, I dream of getting him a Happy Meal.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tiffiny! I just know it's going to help, but I needed her to want to do this since she's a teen. I'm hoping that it all goes well, so that she doesn't miss those burgers too much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck! I haven't gone down this road yet...still to chicken myself since I am not sure if food really affects K. At least she has made the decision herself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jen! Yep, we know for sure that diet factors into Bud's problems and she definitely has to be in on it, although I've been preparing more and more g-free meals for her. ;o)

    ReplyDelete